Sugar Shack, a restaurant in Hope Town near the Post Office Dock, caught fire on the morning of October 12, but was brought under control due to the swift action of Hope Town Volunteer Fire and Rescue (HTVFR).
At About 10:10am the HTVFR were called to extinguish a fire which was reported to have started in the kitchen area of the second-floor restaurant.
Fire Chief Jamie Williams said according to the employee she arrived to the restaurant that morning to begin to prepare to open for lunch. It was reported that when she turned the oven on she heard a small explosion. She quickly turned off the power and gas to the building and after she believed she had extinguished the visible flames she went to get the owners of the business.
It was reported that when they returned the fire had spread and due to the amount of smoke they were unable to enter the building. They then called HTVFR who responded promptly with two trucks and fifteen volunteers and in just over an hour extinguished the fire.
Mr. Williams reported that the fire was basically contained to the kitchen area and there was fire damage to the area surrounding the kitchen as well as smoke damage. He noted that they used approximately 3000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire and although the fire was contained to the second-floor the bottom floor received water damage.