Alex Klahm, with Architectural Metal & Design Inc, a specialist in restoring metal historical structures, will return to Abaco on January 23 to start work on the Elbow Reef Lighthouse the following day.
Mr. Klahm, who was on Elbow Cay at the beginning of October to assess the work to be done, will be accompanied by two assistants, Cory Bird and Jacob Mudge.
The work will start immediately on January 24 and is expected to last until February 2.
The Executive Director of the Elbow Reef Lighthouse Society, Lory Kenyon, would like to inform the public that the lighthouse might not be functioning as usual while the repairs are being conducted. She said that the light might be dimmer and possibly out altogether for a short while. During that period the lighthouse will be close to the public for a total of 12 days.
Annie Potts, US Coordinator for the Elbow Reef Lighthouse Society will be present. Both she and Ms. Kenyon will assist the restoration crew.
Before he left the island, Mr. Klahm had compiled a list of the following repairs for the ERLS, some to be taken care of as soon as possible.
Following is a review of the assessment:
– Bolt down metal plates to the roof and change rusted bolts to gutters and roof;
– Ensure that the lightning rod was properly connected.
– Re-install the permanent ladder and a proper trapdoor.
– Remove the door to the outside gallery, lubricate it and put it back.
– Install additional security posts to the balustrade.
– Replace cracked glass panels.
– Clean and replace the displaced stone slab.
Possible Additional Repairs:
– Sandblast and repaint the entire lighthouse.