Thirty-two Haitian migrants were apprehended on July 6 as they attempted to land in Marsh Harbour on Sunday morning, according to Director of Immigration William Pratt.
Mr. Pratt said the group was comprised of 16 men, 15 women and one child.
Members of the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF), Royal Bahamas Defence Force (RBDF) and the Department of Immigration apprehended the group.
Mr. Pratt said the boat was discovered before it could pull into a harbour.
He said seven men jumped overboard and swam toward the shore. As of Sunday only five of them had been captured.
The Department of Immigration sent a plane to retrieve the immigrants on July 6, Mr. Pratt said. They were transported to New Providence to await deportation at the Carmichael Road Detention Center.
Mr. Pratt said the 32 migrants will add to the 326 migrants that are currently in the detention center.
Of that number, 248 are Haitian, 47 are Cuban and nine are Jamaican, he said.
In June, Foreign Affairs Minister Fred Mitchell announced that the government spent over $1 million last year in repatriation costs for illegal immigrants.
As of June this year, he said the government spent $463,063 to send illegal immigrants home, nearly half of last year’s total cost of $1,191,250.
According to Mr. Mitchell, Operation Clean Up Bahamas, which focused on road blocks in eastern and western New Providence, saw the arrest of 2,381 migrants between November 5, 2013 and May 31 of this year.
That figure is comprised of 1,846 Haitians among 536 others.
In 2013, there were 3,868 illegal migrants repatriated: 157 Cubans, 49 Dominicans, 300 Jamaicans, 3,033 Haitians and 329 of other nationalities.
Mr. Mitchell also noted that 1,899 Haitians came to The Bahamas by boat.